August is here and brought some major investigations with it.
This weekend is the busiest weekend of the year per USASF sanctioned events.
- Former Cheerleaders Warn of Concussion Risks in the Sport via Inside Edition.
- Cheering from Japan to Kentucky via The Trail Blazer.
- USA Cheer Recognized by Sports Destination Management via USA Cheer.
- Column: Male Cheerleaders, Take Off Your Clothes! via The Daily Tar Heel.
- Special Report: Research Shows Cheerleading Injuries Declining With Coach Education, Regulation via Heart of Illinois.
- Kennesaw State Cheerleader Settles Lawsuit Over School Deliberately Hiding Anthem Protest via Yahoo!.
- Words of Cheer – Interesting History of Cheerleading Clinics via Battlefords News-Optimist.
Summer news is a little slow.The IASF posted a comparison of the USASF and IASF rules.
- Florida’s Famous Cheerleader, Mr. Two Bits, Dies via ESPN.
- ‘Black Girls Cheer’ Documentary, Coming to Chicago, Looks at Joy, Power of All-Black Cheer Squads via Chicago Tribune.
- Varsity Spirit Expands Its Band Division With Two Significant Acquisitions via Yahoo!.
- Students Lament Death of El Paso Cheerleading Coach Who Died in Vehicle Crash via KFOX14.
Summer is in full swing and here’s some of the news dropped while we’ve been enjoying our vacations. The biggest news, in our opinion, is the first article. We’ve also ended with a video for your entertainment.
- Acrobatics and Tumbling, Women’s Wrestling Get Backing to Join NCAA Emerging Sports via NCAA.
- USA Cheer Announces DI and DII/III Players of the Year, Kennedy Wingbermuehle and Samantha Jenkins via USA Cheer.
- NCAA Takes Pep Out of Cheerleading Company Varsity Brands via New York Post.
- Tuks Cheerleaders Making Impossible Stunts Look Easy via Pretoria East Rekord.
- 2019-2020 Sanctioned Event & Warm-Up Room Requirements via USASF.
- Cheerleading is Demanding and Just as Competitive as Other Sports via Daily Gazette.
- From Cheerleader to Circus Freak: Meet Abbie Springer via StyleBlueprint.
- ‘Cheerleader Generation’: Mother-Daughter Coaching Duo Tease Intense New Series Will Help Cheerleading ‘Gain Respect’ via Pop Culture.
- STUNT Teams Enjoy Recognition from Members of Congress via USA Cheer.
- I Was a Cheerleader, and It Made Me the Person I Am Today via Thrive Global.
- 10 Things You Didn’t Know about Cheerleader Generation via TVOvermind.
- Ole Miss Cheer Takes Center Stage in New Lifetime Series via HottyToddy.com.
- Varsity Brands’ Bid to Make Cheerleading an Olympic Sport (Video) via Yahoo!
The USASF held a meeting with members of multiple parts of the industry, including event producers, coaches, choreographers, media, uniforms, vendors, and music producers, to discuss the image of All Star. We haven’t seen anything come from it yet, but it is a step toward the industry working together to address the image being portrayed like this:
The end of the season events have ended and today the new season begins.
- UK Grad Defies Gravity, Changes Perception of Sport He Loves via UKNow.
- Golden Hat-Trick for England ParaCheer at ICU World Championships via Sky Sports.
- Canadians to Receive Medal After Team Says They Were ‘Robbed’ at Cheerleading Championships in U.S. via Global News.
- Cheerleaders Injured During Storms at ESPN Wide World of Sports via WFLA.
- Montgomery County Special Olympics Cheerleading Team Makes History via WTOP.
- US National Teams Bring Home 18 Medals from International Cheer Union’s World Cheerleading Championships via USA Cheer.
- Go, Fight, Win! Santa Rosa Special Olympics Cheer Squad Takes Home Gold Medals at State via Pensacola News Journal.
- Special Education Teachers Form Student Cheer Squad, Take Home Gold at First Competition via Yahoo!
- Eagles Select Male Dancer To Join Cheerleading Squad, But It Turns Out He’s Not Franchise’s First via CBS.
- OSU Cheer and Dance Looks Towards Change via The Daily Barometer.
- The College STUNT Association Announces Season Nine STUNT All Americans via USA Cheer.
- New TV Series ‘Cheerleader Generation’ Features Dunbar Coach and Daughter, the Ole Miss Coach via Lexington Herald-Leader.
Happy April Fools’ Day, it’s Worlds month. That is not a joke, it is really Worlds month. First we have NCA College Nationals and good luck to all the teams competing in Daytona, then Worlds is upon us. Good luck with the final weeks of preparation and may you have the performance of a lifetime once you step on the floor.
- Cheerleading: It’s a Sport via The Charger Bulletin.
- New York Cheerleading Changes May Have Saved the Sport via Press Connects.
- Southwest Airlines Employee Allegedly Mocks Disabled Cheerleaders: ‘Those Two are Clearly Faking it’ via Yahoo!
- Special Olympics Cheerleaders Perform at Idaho State Cheer Competition via KIVI.
- Cheerleaders Compete in State Special Olympics Competition via WXII.
- Girl with Down Syndrome Becomes Cheerleader, Wows Crowd with Her Positive Attitude via The Epoch Times.
- A Judge Ruled That A High School Cheerleader’s “Fuck Cheer” Snapchat Post Is Protected Speech via Buzzfeed News.
- What We’re Expecting from the Live Action “Cheer Boys!!” via TVOvermind.
- How All-Star Cheerleading is Finally Getting the Recognition it Deserves via Calgary Journal.
- What Being a Colts Cheerleader Taught Me About Running a Business via Inside Indiana Business.
- Special Needs Cheerleader Shines Bright on the Mats via WVNS TV.
- Ex-UK Cheerleader Dies After Being Hit by 3 Vehicles in New Jersey via Courier Journal.
September came, bringing football season and an updated IASF website with it. Here’s the news that came along with it:
- Pensacola News Journal published ‘It Felt Like I Was the King’: Pensacola Gym Starts Special Needs Cheerleading Team.
- Express posted Britain’s First NFL Cheerleader Holly Warden: It’s Very Competitive.
- The Post published Film Review: In Short – ‘Bring It On: Worldwide #Cheersmack’ is a Joke.
- KSTP posted Minnesota Moment: Rochester Teen Uses Cheerleading to Bring Awareness to Tourrete Syndrome.
- ESPN posted The Move I Love to Hate: Cheerleader Whitney Agee’s Pushup Block.
- Atlanta Journal-Constitution published Cheerleader Killed in Cherokee County Crash.
- Cape May County Herald posted Girl Wide Receiver Was Bored Cheerleader.
- Land of 10 published Wisconsin Nose Guard Olive Sagapolu’s Cheerleading Background Highlights His Impressive Athleticism.
- Memphis Business Journal posted ‘Spirited’ Memphis Company Gets New President.
- M Live published Alma’s Burke named STUNT Athlete of the Year.
- 5 News posted Former Gentry Student Killed In Car Wreck Remembered By Cheer Coach.
- The Seahawk published Competitive Cheerleading Offers an Alternative in School Spirit.
- Collegiate Times posted Who is at the Base of the Pyramid?.
- Daily Record published Talented Cheerleader Paige is Heading Stateside for Florida Competition.
- Morgan County Citizen posted Rebecca Lindsey: World-Class Cheerleader.
- 7 News published East High School Assistant Principal Resigns; Principal Retires Amid Controversy Over Forced Splits.
- CBS posted Protesters Want ‘Forced Splits’ Principal Reinstated.
- The Varsity published The Life of a Varsity Blues Cheerleader.
- The Tribune posted Girl Finds Acceptance, Friends in Cheerleading.
- CBC News published ‘It’s Not Just Rah Rah’: Sask. Cheerleaders Work to Smash Stereotypes as Sport’s Popularity Grows.
- The Vanguard posted Inside Athletics: Cheerleading.
- Yahoo! shared Cheerleader Who Knelt in National Anthem Protest Goes Viral.
- Inside Edition published 14-Year-Old Cheerleader With Tourette Syndrome Raises Awareness: ‘I Can Do a Lot’.
And in case you’ve ever had a bad game, it probably wasn’t much worse than the dancer in this video.
February came and went along with some of the largest events in our industry. The most tragic news of the month was the fatal plane crash in California involving a small group returning from a cheerleading competition (Washington Post, ABC, People). Here’s the other news you may have missed:
- Cheerleading’s Peculiar Path to Potential Olympic Sport (The Conversation)
- Former Cheerleaders Sue the NFL, Alleging Conspiracy Over Unfair Wages (ABC News)
- The Evolution of NFL Cheerleader Uniforms Over the Decades (AOL)
- A Brief History of NFL Cheerleaders (Techfeatured)
- Local Cheerleading Group Sees Big Growth as Competition Lands in Calgary (CBC News)
- Cheerleader Brain Damaged After No One Caught Her Fall During Stunt, $20M Suit Claims (Oregon Live)
- Cheer and Present Danger: UCLA Cheerleader Falls Twice in a Matter of Seconds (AOL)
- 2017 National High School Cheerleading And Dance Team Championships Honor Top Teams (Yahoo!)
- ‘It’s a Lot More Than Rah-Rah’: The Athletics of Cheerleading (WGXA)
- Is Cheerleading Coming to the Olympics? (Boston Globe)
- Black History Firsts: Savannah State University Takes Home National Cheerleading Award (Essence)