- UConn Cheerleading Returns To National Competition via UConn Today.
- REVIEW: ‘Cheer’ Shows How Grueling Cheerleading Can be & Plenty to ‘Cheer’: New Netflix Series Goes Behind the Scenes via Madison.com.
- ‘Cheer’ Is An Incisive Look At Injury, Coaching And Competition via NPR.
- USA Cheer announced the 2020 Special Olympic and Adaptive Abilities Teams, US National Junior Team Cheer Freestyle Pom Division Coaching Staff and Region, and US National Junior Team Hip Hop Division Coaching Staff and Region.
- Review: How Netflix’s Superb ‘Cheer’ Dispels Your Assumptions About Cheerleading via USA Today.
- Netflix Cheerleading Docuseries Sheds Light on $2B Industry via Fox Business.
- Teams Put Aside Rivalries to Honor Beloved Cheer Coach via LEX 18.
- Stunt Men: The Guys Who Power Polk Cheerleading via News Chief.
- ‘It’s a Hard and Challenging Sport’: Inside the World of Competitive Cheerleading via The Guardian.
- USA Cheer Response to Netflix’s “CHEER!” via USA Cheer.
January has come and gone, taking along with it one of our favorite events, UCA & UDA College Nationals.
- Black Cheerleaders and A Long History of Protest via AAIHS.
- Ola Student Named Georgia Cheerleader of the Year via Henry County Times.
- Acro-Tumbling Combines Cheerleading, Gymnastics; Helps Put Concordia University on the Map via Fox 6.
- You’ve Seen UK cheerleader’s Mind-Blowing Flips. Here’s His Story and His Dreams for His Team via Kentucky Sports.
- Oral History Collection Champions UK Cheerleading Dynasty via UK Now.
- Rams Male Cheerleaders To Make History With Super Bowl Appearance via CBS.
- Varsity Brands’ Jeff Webb Rebranded Cheerleading With Focus On Athleticism, Entertainment via Investor’s Business Daily.
- Cheerleading Drama ‘Dare Me’ Ordered to Series at USA via Hollywood Reporter.
- Why Is There a War on Cheerleaders? via Townhall.
- USA Cheer announced the National Coed and All Girl, Junior All Girl, Junior Coed, Junior Freestyle Pom, and Junior Hip Hop teams.
Congratulations to the UDA College Nationals 2018 National Champions:
- Division 1A Hip Hop – University of Nevada – Las Vegas
- Division 1A Jazz – Ohio State University
- Division 1A Pom – Ohio State University
- Division 1 Hip Hop – Southeastern Louisiana University
- Division 1 Jazz – University of Delaware
- Division 1 Pom – Hofstra University
- Open Hip Hop – University of Puerto Rico Bayamón
- Open Jazz – Orange Coast College
- Open Pom – Orange Coast College
- Division 1A – University of Nevada – Las Vegas
- Division 1 – St John’s University
- Open – Northwest Missouri State University
January kicked off a new year with a new President. Here’s the cheerleading news we found interesting.
- The Star-Telegram published Downtown Fort Worth Sparkles for UIL Spirit Championships.
- The Cleveland Clinic published Cheerleading: Where the Injuries Are Less Frequent, More Severe.
- WSET posted Community Rallies Behind Cheerleader Diagnosed With Brain Tumor.
- Varsity.com posted the 2017 UCA & UDA ESPN Air Dates.
- Kentucky.com published UK Cheerleading Wins 22nd National Title; Morehead State Also Crowned.
- Indiana Daily Student posted IU Cheerleading Claims Fifth National Championship.
- Wave3 published Bullitt Co. Squad Could Help Make Cheerleading an Olympic Sport.
- KBTX posted Students and Faculty Honor the Life of Cheerleading Mentor.
UCA and UDA College Nationals were held January 13-15 at Walt Disney World. Full coverage can be found on Varsity TV.
- Division IA Coed – University of Kentucky
- Division IA All Girl – Indiana University
- Division I Coed – Morehead State University
- Division I All Girl – University of West Georgia
- Division I Small Coed – University of Memphis
- Division II Coed – University of West Georgia
- Division II Small Coed – Wilmington University
- Open Coed – Shelton State Community College
- Open All Girl – Nassau Community College
- Division IA Hip Hop – University of Cincinnati
- Division IA Jazz – University of Minnesota
- Division IA Pom – University of Minnesota
- Division I Hip Hop – Northern Arizona University
- Division I Jazz – Cal State Fullerton
- Division I Pom – Hofstra University
- Open Hip Hop – University of Saint Thomas
- Open Jazz – Lindenwood University
- Open Pom – Orange Coast College
Partner Stunt & Mascot Champions
- Partner Stunt “Girls 4” – Sam Houston State University (Drew, Danielle, Brenna & Chelsea)
- Partner Stunt Coed – Morehead State University (Jessie & Nick)
- Mascot Division IA – University of Minnesota “Goldy Golpher”
- Mascot Open – University of Delaware “YoUDee”