- I Was a High School Cheerleader – But Here’s Why I’d Never Want My Daughter to Be One via Babble.
- 6 Things You Didn’t Know About the Careers of NFL Cheerleaders via Money.
- NFL Cheerleader Pay: This Super Bowl, Let’s Remember The Ultimate Wage Gap via Fast Company.
- Super Bowl Cheerleaders’ Bikinis Spark Stew Over Sexploitation vs. Slut-Shaming via City Pages.
- ‘A Risk You Take’: Cheerleaders Face Possibility of Catastrophic Injuries via West Central Tribune.
- A Day in the Life of Elon Cheerleading via Elon News Network.
- North Korea’s ‘Army of Cheerleaders’ Arrive at Olympics…and Kim Loves Them Due to His Wife via Daily Star.
- Olympics ‘Icing on the Cake’ for UK Cheerleaders via The Ledger-Independent.
- Sark’s Barks: Yes, Cheerleading is a Sport via Lompoc Record.
- 2018 National High School Cheerleading And Dance Team Championships Honor Top Teams via PR Newswire.
- Arizona Cheerleader Ejected for Yelling Into Megaphone During Free Throws via ABC News.
- UK Cheerleaders Arrive in South Korea to Cheer for the USA in the Winter Olympics via Kentucky.com.
- University of Kentucky Cheerleaders Represent U.S. in PyeongChang via NBC Olympics.
- STUNT Takes Cheerleading to a New Level via DailyLobo.com.
- Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders Memorabilia Enshrined in Smithsonian Museum via USA Today.
- Kentucky Cheerleaders Perform at International Exhibition via LEX18.com.
Welcome to 2018. Let’s take a look at the news that started the year.
- The Next Disney Channel Original Movie Is a High School Musical About Zombies and Cheerleaders via The Mary Sue.
- North Korea’s Cheerleading Charm Offensive via BBC News.
- 15 NFL Cheerleader Stories We Hope Aren’t True via The Sportster.
- UK’s Cheerleaders Will Cheer Alongside North Korea’s at the Olympics via Kentucky Sports Radio.
- Cheerleading championships: UIL State Spirit Competition Draws 500 Teams via Fort Worth Star-Telegram.
- Kentucky Cheerleaders Climb to 23rd National Championship via LEX18.
- Cheer Squads Win Two National Titles in Orlando via The Trail Blazer.
- 2 Male Century High School Cheerleaders Defying Stereotypes via Idaho State Journal.
- WMU Cheerleading Remembers Damond Carpenter via Western Herald.
- Texas Tech Partner Stunt Team Chosen for Coed National Team via Everything Lubbock.
- NFL Cheerleaders an Embarrassment via Lancaster Online.
- On-Court Proposal: UK Cheerleader has Diamond Ring to go With Her Championship Rings via Kentucky.com.
- Headteacher Bans Pupils Competing in US World Cheerleading Championships From Attending Prom and Threatens to Fine Them for ‘Unauthorised Absence’ via Mirror.
- Cheerleader Sues College Over Alleged Sexual Assault via CBS DFW.
- Olympic Diver Chris Mears Supports Cheerleaders Stopped From Competing via BBC.
- Burghfield School at Centre of Cheerleading Row Denies Prom Ban Claims via Newbury Today.
- ‘Most Lovely, Caring Person I’ve Ever Met’: Brisbane Cheerleader Drowns at Australia Day Party via The Sydney Morning Herald.
- Kelsey LaCroix Dreamed Of Being Kentucky Cheerleader via Lex18.com.
Congratulations to the UCA College Nationals 2018 National Champions:
- Division 1A Coed – University of Kentucky
- Division 1A All Girl – University of Oklahoma
- Division 1 Coed – Morehead State University
- Division 1 All Girl – Morehead State University
- Division 1 Small Coed – Purdue University
- Division 2 Coed – University of West Georgia
- Division 2 Small Coed – Wilmington University
- Open Coed – Shelton State University
- Open All Girl – Nassau Community College
- Division 1A Coed – University of Cincinnati
- Division 1A All Girl – University of Mississippi
- Open Coed – University of Puerto Rico Bayamón
- Open All Girl – Cal Poly
- Division 1A – University of Minnesota
- Open – Tennessee Tech University
January kicked off a new year with a new President. Here’s the cheerleading news we found interesting.
- The Star-Telegram published Downtown Fort Worth Sparkles for UIL Spirit Championships.
- The Cleveland Clinic published Cheerleading: Where the Injuries Are Less Frequent, More Severe.
- WSET posted Community Rallies Behind Cheerleader Diagnosed With Brain Tumor.
- Varsity.com posted the 2017 UCA & UDA ESPN Air Dates.
- Kentucky.com published UK Cheerleading Wins 22nd National Title; Morehead State Also Crowned.
- Indiana Daily Student posted IU Cheerleading Claims Fifth National Championship.
- Wave3 published Bullitt Co. Squad Could Help Make Cheerleading an Olympic Sport.
- KBTX posted Students and Faculty Honor the Life of Cheerleading Mentor.
UCA and UDA College Nationals were held January 13-15 at Walt Disney World. Full coverage can be found on Varsity TV.
- Division IA Coed – University of Kentucky
- Division IA All Girl – Indiana University
- Division I Coed – Morehead State University
- Division I All Girl – University of West Georgia
- Division I Small Coed – University of Memphis
- Division II Coed – University of West Georgia
- Division II Small Coed – Wilmington University
- Open Coed – Shelton State Community College
- Open All Girl – Nassau Community College
- Division IA Hip Hop – University of Cincinnati
- Division IA Jazz – University of Minnesota
- Division IA Pom – University of Minnesota
- Division I Hip Hop – Northern Arizona University
- Division I Jazz – Cal State Fullerton
- Division I Pom – Hofstra University
- Open Hip Hop – University of Saint Thomas
- Open Jazz – Lindenwood University
- Open Pom – Orange Coast College
Partner Stunt & Mascot Champions
- Partner Stunt “Girls 4” – Sam Houston State University (Drew, Danielle, Brenna & Chelsea)
- Partner Stunt Coed – Morehead State University (Jessie & Nick)
- Mascot Division IA – University of Minnesota “Goldy Golpher”
- Mascot Open – University of Delaware “YoUDee”