- Cambridge’s Queensland Sharks to represent Canada at Junior Cheerleading Worlds via Cambridge Times.
- How I Went From A Bullied Teen To The First Male Cheerleader At The Super Bowl via Refinery29.
- Part of KSU Cheerleader’s Lawsuit Dismissed Against Sheriff, Ex-Lawmaker via WSBTV.
- The Twists, Tumbles and Turns of Josh Marsh via Kentucky Kernel.
- USA Cheer named the teams that will compete as Team USA in Hip Hop (Brigham Young University), Jazz (Utah Valley University), and Pom (Rutgers University).
- The Special Stars: How Cheerleading Helped These Girls With Special Needs Shine via Inside Edition.
- Women’s Cheerleading Team Flying High Under the Radar via The Bona Venture.
- George Mason Cheerleader With Down Syndrome Brings Infectious Spirit to Team via WJLA.
- At Wisconsin High School, Accusations of Body Shaming at a Cheerleading Banquet via New York Times.
- Diane Keaton Takes on Retirement Communities and Cheerleading in ‘Poms’ Trailer via the Hollywood Reporter.
- Texas Cheerleader’s Final Moments Before Gas Explosion at House Kills Her Captured on Video via Fox News.
- Beloved Fort Thomas Cheerleader Dies Suddenly via Cincinnati.com.
- Japanese Cheerleaders Share ULM Cheer Experience via The Hawkeye.
- There’s More to Cheerleading Than Meets the Eye via Daily Lobo.
- N.C. A&T Cheerleaders Won’t Return to the Court this Season via News & Record.
- USA Cheer Announces Special Olympic Teams for 2019 via USA Cheer.
- USA Cheer Announces Expansion of Special Ability and Adaptive Ability Teams for 2019 via USA Cheer.
- Two Cheerleading Coaches are Out at N.C. A&T via News & Record.
- Ole Miss’ Cheerleading Coach is Starring in a New Reality Show via Red Cup Rebellion.
January has come and gone, taking along with it one of our favorite events, UCA & UDA College Nationals.
- Black Cheerleaders and A Long History of Protest via AAIHS.
- Ola Student Named Georgia Cheerleader of the Year via Henry County Times.
- Acro-Tumbling Combines Cheerleading, Gymnastics; Helps Put Concordia University on the Map via Fox 6.
- You’ve Seen UK cheerleader’s Mind-Blowing Flips. Here’s His Story and His Dreams for His Team via Kentucky Sports.
- Oral History Collection Champions UK Cheerleading Dynasty via UK Now.
- Rams Male Cheerleaders To Make History With Super Bowl Appearance via CBS.
- Varsity Brands’ Jeff Webb Rebranded Cheerleading With Focus On Athleticism, Entertainment via Investor’s Business Daily.
- Cheerleading Drama ‘Dare Me’ Ordered to Series at USA via Hollywood Reporter.
- Why Is There a War on Cheerleaders? via Townhall.
- USA Cheer announced the National Coed and All Girl, Junior All Girl, Junior Coed, Junior Freestyle Pom, and Junior Hip Hop teams.
October came and went, bringing Fall and Halloween with it. This month I was reminded of cheerleading being used in headlines to catch the attention of readers. People published an article titled Cheerleader’s Alleged Admission that She Didn’t Want to Be Mom Is Admissible in Baby Murder Trial that had nothing to do with cheerleading knowing including cheerleading in the title would increase clicks. The article even starts with “The former cheerleader accused of” and the only other time cheerleading is mentioned is another reference to “the former cheerleader”, unless you count links to other articles related to the same story. It is a reminder of the gap between the attention and respect cheerleading is given.
- The Cheerleading Team is More than Just Pretty Faces via The University Star.
- So, Uh, Why Does the NFL Have Cheerleaders Again? via The Ringer.
- World University Cheerleading Championships Due to Begin in Lodz via Inside the Games
- Michigan Cheerleader Accused of Handing out Pot Brownies as Bribe to Win Homecoming Queen via Fox News.
- Sex on the Sidelines: How the N.F.L. Made a Game of Exploiting Cheerleaders via Vanity Fair.
- USA Cheer Team Meet Our LeBron!! via TMZ.
- Why the NFL Should Get Rid of Cheerleaders via Tampa Bay Times.
- Japan Dominate on World University Cheerleading Championships Day One via Inside the Games.
- Cheerleading Coach Resigns After Taking Squad on Unauthorized Trip via Atlanta Journal-Constitution.
- Japan Shine Again at World University Cheerleading Championships via Inside the Games.
- Mother Outraged After Michigan School Administrator Calls Cheerleaders ‘Strippers’ via WPTV.
- Poland’s Łódź Hosts 400 Cheerleaders From 13 Countries via Radio Poland.
- Cheerleading is a Sport via Bobcat Network.
- Portland School Cheerleaders Raise Money for Worthy Causes via Ionia Sentinel-Standard.
- High School Cheerleader Claims Coaches Fat-Shamed Her Over Uniform via News 5.
- Harrison High Administrator Says Cheerleaders Look Like Strippers; Racial Tensions Raised via Royal Oak Tribune.
- College Cheerleader Charged With Choking Teammate Unconscious via New York Post.
- USASF Sanctioned Event & Warm-Up Room Requirements for 2018-19 via USASF.
- $250,000 Scholarship Donation Aids UA Cheerleaders via Arkansas Democrat-Gazette.
- Meet the Maine Teen Who Served as Her High School’s Only Cheerleader via Inside Edition.
- Varsity Brands Founder On The Big Business Of Cheerleading via Chief Executive.
- ‘It’s Much Greater Than a Sport’: Behind the Scenes of LSU Cheer via Legacy Magazine.
Dear USASF Members:
Thanks to USA Cheer, the USASF was just granted the opportunity to send a team with Exceptional Athletes (formerly called Special Needs) to the International Cheer Union (ICU) World Cheerleading Championship in April of 2018 to represent the National Team for the USA!
In order to meet the timeline of this special invitation, an Exceptional Athletes Sub-Committee met to create an expedited selection process. The committee decided to award this opportunity to a team who already competes and who could adapt a routine to the ICU format and safety guidelines in time for the championship.
Congratulations to Maryland Twisters Eye of the Storm, who will represent The National Team for the USA at the 2018 ICU World Cheerleading Championship!
Moving forward, a process and system will be implemented to include more teams with Special Needs in the selection process. We will likely create a video submission program (similar to the current Worlds bid video program for teams with Exceptional Athletes) where a distinguished panel of judges will select the official team. Be on the look out for the 2019 US National Team information that should be released this Fall.
Qualify To Perform At Worlds, 2018
Teams with Exceptional Athletes still have the opportunity to submit videos to compete for 5 At Large bids to Exhibition at The Cheerleading Worlds, 2018. Don’t forget—videos are due no later than March 1, 2018. Click here to learn more!
Welcome to 2018. Let’s take a look at the news that started the year.
- The Next Disney Channel Original Movie Is a High School Musical About Zombies and Cheerleaders via The Mary Sue.
- North Korea’s Cheerleading Charm Offensive via BBC News.
- 15 NFL Cheerleader Stories We Hope Aren’t True via The Sportster.
- UK’s Cheerleaders Will Cheer Alongside North Korea’s at the Olympics via Kentucky Sports Radio.
- Cheerleading championships: UIL State Spirit Competition Draws 500 Teams via Fort Worth Star-Telegram.
- Kentucky Cheerleaders Climb to 23rd National Championship via LEX18.
- Cheer Squads Win Two National Titles in Orlando via The Trail Blazer.
- 2 Male Century High School Cheerleaders Defying Stereotypes via Idaho State Journal.
- WMU Cheerleading Remembers Damond Carpenter via Western Herald.
- Texas Tech Partner Stunt Team Chosen for Coed National Team via Everything Lubbock.
- NFL Cheerleaders an Embarrassment via Lancaster Online.
- On-Court Proposal: UK Cheerleader has Diamond Ring to go With Her Championship Rings via Kentucky.com.
- Headteacher Bans Pupils Competing in US World Cheerleading Championships From Attending Prom and Threatens to Fine Them for ‘Unauthorised Absence’ via Mirror.
- Cheerleader Sues College Over Alleged Sexual Assault via CBS DFW.
- Olympic Diver Chris Mears Supports Cheerleaders Stopped From Competing via BBC.
- Burghfield School at Centre of Cheerleading Row Denies Prom Ban Claims via Newbury Today.
- ‘Most Lovely, Caring Person I’ve Ever Met’: Brisbane Cheerleader Drowns at Australia Day Party via The Sydney Morning Herald.
- Kelsey LaCroix Dreamed Of Being Kentucky Cheerleader via Lex18.com.
As summer continues the news cycle is slow, but here’s what’s going on:
- USASF Member Management System Launch is underway.
- Delmava Now published Special Needs Cheerleading Team Breaks Boundaries – and Wins.
- The Maitland Mercury posted World Stage Beckons for Oxygen All Stars.
- Clarksville Online published Three Austin Peay State University Cheerleaders Win Gold for Team USA at World Cheerleading Championships.
- Palm Coast Observer posted Palm Coast Parents Open All-Star Cheerleading Gym, With Daughter as Inspiration.
- Reading Eagle published Male Cheerleaders Defend Their Place on the Sidelines.
- New York Post posted Cheerleader Dies After Hospital Dismissed Her Chest Pain Twice.
- WTVR (CBS) published Former Elite Chesterfield Cheerleader Found Dead in Hotel Room.
- Courthouse News posted NFL Ducks Cheerleaders’ Antitrust Class Action.