August is here and brought some major investigations with it.
August was a little slow, but with school resuming for many it wouldn’t be a surprise if things start to pick up.
July was a little slow, but here are the public articles we found. There were also a couple article referring to a lawsuit or lawsuits filed against Varsity, USASF, USA Cheer, Jeff Webb and related entities that were behind paywalls.
- I Would Love to See it Recognised for the Amazing Sport That it is via Pundit Arena.
- USA Cheer “Return to Cheer and STUNT” Guidelines via USA Cheer.
Welcome to the 2nd half of 2020. In late June the USASF announced the standings in their Worlds Divisions Points Championship and the 2020 Scholarship Recipients. Here’s some of the other news from June.
- 5 Pivotal Moments That Drove Rebel Athletic’s Success via The Challenger Project.
- Cheerleading Giant Varsity Brands Gets $185 Million in New Capital to Power Through Pandemic via Dallas Morning News.
- Ryan Martin O’Connor Named UK Cheerleading Head Coach via UK Athletics.
- AAC Will Limit Marching Bands, Spirit Squads During Football Season via Commercial Appeal.
- Sweeping Changes at Varsity All Star via Cheer Updates.
Welcome to June. Both USASF & IASF have publicly posted their Divisions and Rules for the upcoming season, something USASF hasn’t done in a couple seasons.
- STUNT Receives Emerging Sport Recommendation from the NCAA’s Committee on Women’s Athletics via USA Cheer.
- USASF announced the Regional Advisory Board members for the 2020-21 season.
- University of Kentucky Takes Action to Protect Students, Integrity of Championship Cheerleading Program via UK Now.
- Berger Montague: All-Star Cheer Gym Brings Class Action Alleging Varsity Brands Monopolized All-Star Cheerleading Competitions and Apparel via PR Newswire.
- ‘Not ‘Sport’ Enough for Ontario?’: Cheerleaders Boo Unequal Treatment via Ottawa Sun.
- USA Cheer announced Youth Cheer Rules for the Sideline.
- Ex-UK Cheer Coach Says He Disagrees With Dismissal in First Public Statement Since Firing via Kentucky.com.
- Delayed Tryouts Put Competition Cheer Coaches in Tough Spot via The Daily Tribune.
Welcome to May. We should be recovering from Worlds and starting the all level end of the year events, but instead most of us are still sitting at home. USASF cancelled Worlds 2020. IASF hasn’t announced a definitive plan, but is leaving the door open for having the event in conjunction with the ICU Championship in the fall. Varsity has announced A Summit will take place combining their end of the year events into this single event.
- One Set of Rules for High School Cheer via USA Cheer.
- Varsity Spirit Idles Workers as COVID-19 Threatens Business via The Daily Memphian.
- “Sobering”: SC Cheerleading Gym Owner Recovering From COVID-19 Reflects on Experience via WLOS.
- Risk Minimization Remains Key in 2020-21 College Cheer Rules Changes via USA Cheer.
What a month! Here’s some of the news that is not related to the season pausing.
- Cheerleading in the UK: We’re Not on the Sidelines Any More via BBC.
- Black Girls Cheer: How a Mom’s Social Media Group Sparked a Movement via ABC.
- Cheer Shows Competitive Cheerleading Is Almost as Dangerous as Football. So Why Isn’t It Officially Considered a Sport? via Time.
- Cheerleading is a Sport – And it’s Also So Much More via Algonquin Times.
- Jamaica Olympic Association Secretary General Promises to Promote Cheerleading via Inside the Games.
- New Cheerleading Safety Data Available via USA Cheer.
- Cheerleading Rules Changes Focus on Safety, Risk Minimization via High School OT.
February came and brought some major events including both NCA and UCA High School Nationals, Cheersport, and the beginning of NCA All Star. USA Cheer also announced the 2020 National Team representative for Hip Hop (University of Nevada Las Vegas), Jazz (Brigham Young University), and Pom (University of Tennessee).
- How Cheerleading Evolved From One Man Yelling in Minnesota to 4.5 Million Leaping Cheerleaders via Business Insider.
- Cheerleading: Competitive Sport or Not via The Cord.
- ECU Cheerleading is More Than Just Pom Poms via The East Carolinian.
- Go Memphis! Go Tigers! Champs Again via Daily Memphian.
- USA Cheer Appoints New Director of College STUNT.
- Inside the Strange, Insular World of Cheerleading Music via Vice.
- UConn Cheerleading Returns To National Competition via UConn Today.
- REVIEW: ‘Cheer’ Shows How Grueling Cheerleading Can be & Plenty to ‘Cheer’: New Netflix Series Goes Behind the Scenes via Madison.com.
- ‘Cheer’ Is An Incisive Look At Injury, Coaching And Competition via NPR.
- USA Cheer announced the 2020 Special Olympic and Adaptive Abilities Teams, US National Junior Team Cheer Freestyle Pom Division Coaching Staff and Region, and US National Junior Team Hip Hop Division Coaching Staff and Region.
- Review: How Netflix’s Superb ‘Cheer’ Dispels Your Assumptions About Cheerleading via USA Today.
- Netflix Cheerleading Docuseries Sheds Light on $2B Industry via Fox Business.
- Teams Put Aside Rivalries to Honor Beloved Cheer Coach via LEX 18.
- Stunt Men: The Guys Who Power Polk Cheerleading via News Chief.
- ‘It’s a Hard and Challenging Sport’: Inside the World of Competitive Cheerleading via The Guardian.
- USA Cheer Response to Netflix’s “CHEER!” via USA Cheer.
Welcome to 2020. Here’s some of the news to close out 2019.
- Kennesaw State Pays Former Cheerleader Tommia Dean $145K to Settle Anthem Lawsuit via ESPN.
- Netflix Orders College Cheerleading Docuseries From ‘Last Chance U’ Creator via Deadline.
- USA Cheer Announces 2020 US National Junior All Girl & Junior Coed Coaching Staffs and Regions via USA Cheer.
- USASF announced the dates (June 26-28) and location (New Orleans) of the 2020 National Meeting.
- Shelby County Cheer Team Gives Joyful Christmas to Thousands of Local Kids via WMC.
- Australia’s First ParaCheer Competitor Breaks New Ground After Horrific Crash via ABC (Austrailia).
- Practice More Dangerous than Competition for High School Cheerleaders, Concussion Study Shows via Safety+Health.
- ‘Refreshing,’ the Presence of Male Cheerleaders at NKU via the Northerner.
- Cheerleading and Olympic Sport, a Best Kept Secret via TeamUSA.org.
This weekend is the busiest weekend of the year per USASF sanctioned events.
- Former Cheerleaders Warn of Concussion Risks in the Sport via Inside Edition.
- Cheering from Japan to Kentucky via The Trail Blazer.
- USA Cheer Recognized by Sports Destination Management via USA Cheer.
- Column: Male Cheerleaders, Take Off Your Clothes! via The Daily Tar Heel.
- Special Report: Research Shows Cheerleading Injuries Declining With Coach Education, Regulation via Heart of Illinois.
- Kennesaw State Cheerleader Settles Lawsuit Over School Deliberately Hiding Anthem Protest via Yahoo!.
- Words of Cheer – Interesting History of Cheerleading Clinics via Battlefords News-Optimist.
Here are your October articles as you enjoy your Halloween candy:
- Texas Cheerleader Saves Choking Toddler During Homecoming Parade via ABC News
- Former UC Berkeley Cheerleader Says She was Forced to Perform Despite Concussions via San Francisco Chronicle
- Men Return to Husker Cheer Squad, Add More Stunts, Tumbling via The Eagle.
- New Study Shows High Rates of Concussions in High School Cheerleading via Newsweek.
- A Day in the Life of a Trinity Cheerleader via The Trinitonian.
- Q&A With Rochester’s Kyle Tanguay, NFL Cheerleader via Fosters.com.
- Why Cheerdancing Should be Recognized as a ‘Legit’ Sport via Spin.ph.
- Police Investigate Male Cheerleader Bullying Incident at Wilcox High School in Santa Clara via NBC Bay Area.
- Game Day Preparation — BYU Cheer and Stunt via The Daily Universe.
September has come and gone, bringing back school and football. Here’s some of the news that came along with it.
- Squad Goals | Cheerleader with Down Syndrome is the Inspiration, Heart and Soul of the Cheer Squad via WFMY.
- Cowboys Settle Cheerleader Pay Dispute, Entire Squad Gets Pay Boost via WFAA.
- Cheerleader Movies Are Big Business for Lifetime via Glamour.
- Youth/Rec Coach Membership Available via USA Cheer.
- Houston Cheerleader Updates Her Status After Dangerous Fall On Friday via The Spun.
- Youth/Rec Coach Membership Available via USA Cheer.
- Local Cheerleading Squad on Probation for ‘Political Message’ at Game via WSOC.
- ParaCheer Helps Wheelchair User ‘Love Dance Again’ via BBC.
- Guy Cheerleaders Back on Sidelines for Huskers via 1011 Now.
- USA Cheer Names Nicole Nichols to US National Team Coaching Staff via USA Cheer.
Summer is ending. It’s not cheerleading or dance specific, but ESPN published Study: On Average Child Quits Sports at Age 11.
- I Made $3,400 As An NFL Cheerleader — & Spent It ALL On Looking The Part via MSN.
- Cheerleader With Down Syndrome Makes All-American Team via CBS Local.
- 20 Unsettling Rules Professional Cheerleaders Must Follow via The Things.
- Kids Aren’t Playing Enough Sports. The Culprit? Cost via ESPN.
- It’s a Sport and They are Athletes – Get Over It via Opelika Observer.
- USA Cheer Appoints New Director of College STUNT via USA Cheer.
- 2019 University of Kentucky Cheer Coed Stunting Clinic via UK Athletics.
Summer news is a little slow.The IASF posted a comparison of the USASF and IASF rules.
- Florida’s Famous Cheerleader, Mr. Two Bits, Dies via ESPN.
- ‘Black Girls Cheer’ Documentary, Coming to Chicago, Looks at Joy, Power of All-Black Cheer Squads via Chicago Tribune.
- Varsity Spirit Expands Its Band Division With Two Significant Acquisitions via Yahoo!.
- Students Lament Death of El Paso Cheerleading Coach Who Died in Vehicle Crash via KFOX14.