Clarifications from post summer training were reflected in the 8/22/2016 draft. However, the rules have been reformatted and cleaned up a bit (no changes / no clarifications) for improved user experience and released on 11/1/16.
Cheer & Dance Updates
Scholarship Opportunities – USASF Scholarships are available to young athletes to help offset expenses associated with participating with USASF member programs. Share the opportunities with your athletes! Deadline to apply is March 1, 2017
Are These Dates On Your Calendar Yet? – Plan ahead and connect with USASF members at a USASF Regional Convention this summer!
Who Is Going to Worlds ? – Check out the list of talented teams who have qualified for The Cheerleading and Dance World Championship! The list is growing every week!
Is This Legal? – Don’t risk legality points at an event when you could have your skill reviewed before you compete and know if it’s legal or not!
Cheer Rules Overview – If you haven’t registered yet, please join us on Thursday, February 2nd at 1pm EST, 12pm CST, 10am PST for a webinar to review the 2017-18 Cheer Rules, Age Grid and Program Definition.
You must register for the webinar, as space is limited.
After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the webinar. If you have questions after having reviewed the new Cheer Rules documents, you can submit them online prior to the webinar.
Cheer Worlds Cup Race – Check out the standings for the Worlds Cup Race, the newest opportunity for Level 5 and 6 cheer teams to earn their way to The Cheerleading World Championship!
Submit Your Proposal – Do you have an idea for a Dance Rule Change? Submit your proposal here. Deadline for submission is March 1, 2017.
Category Designation – The Contemporary/Lyrical category is being offered for the second season at USASF Sanctioned Events, and for the FIRST time at The Dance Worlds in 2017. If you have any question as to which category you should register your routine at any USASF Sanctioned Event, and especially if you’re competing for a bid to The Dance World Championship, please submit a form at least one week prior to any sanctioned event. Our evaluation staff will review and advise.
Dance Worlds Junior Video Qualification – Six deserving U.S. teams will be awarded At Large bids to compete in the Jr. Dance Division at The Dance Worlds! If your team wants to apply for qualification, read all the details here. Deadline for submission is March 1, 2017.
USASF Scholarships are available to college bound seniors and to young athletes to help offset expenses associated with participating with USASF member programs. Share the opportunities with your athletes!
There are 2 types of scholarships, College Scholarships (open to college bound seniors) and Young Athlete Scholarships (open to athlete members). The first deadline for the College Scholarship is tomorrow, February 1, 2017.
December, along with 2016, has left us. Here’s the news that ended the year, including the news of the year.
- Everyone reported on Cheerleading being granted provisional Olympic status, including Reuters, Inside the Games, The Courier-Mail, BBC, USA Today, USA Cheer, and USASF.
- The Courier-Mail also published IOC Can’t Be Serious: Cheerleading and Muay Thai in Line to Become Olympic Sports.
- The BBC published Cheerleading is a Sport, Get Over it.
- Newshub published Competitive Cheerleading: We Got it Wrong.
- News Limited published Australian Cheerleading Community Hits Back at Critics Who Say Cheerleading is ‘Not a Sport’.
- People published Now Cheer This! Cheerleading Becomes (Provisional) Olympic Sport and 6 Impressive Cheerleading Routines to Celebrate Its Declaration as a Sport.
- Forbes reported Is Cheerleading A Sport? The IOC Ends The Debate.
- The USASF released the draft version of 2017 Worlds Club Divisions Score System.
- NBC reported Cheerleader Bus Crash in West Texas Kills One; Injures Seven. and USA Today followed up with After Tragic Bus Accident, Cheerleaders From Around Texas Gather to Lend Support.
- The New York Times followed up with Bereaved Texas Town Finds Comfort in a State High School Title Game and the Fort Worth Star-Telegram published Iraan Can’t Claim Title, but Players, Cheerleaders Show True Grit.
- New York Times published Great Moments in Cheerleading: Could the Olympics Be Next?.
- The Lexington Herald-Leader reported Meet the Henry Clay Football Player Who Made the School’s Cheerleading Team and Competitive Cheerleading Championships Draw Passionate Followers.
- The CT Post posted Reports: Cheerleader’s Mom Dies On the Way to Cheerleading Tournament.
- Fox reported Cheerleading Team of Girl Who Drowned Wins National Competition in Florida.
- The Duke Chronicle published Duke Track and Field Sprinter Sydnei Murphy Doubles as Cheerleader in Offseason.
- Reuters also published Cheerleading Boasts Increasing International Appeal.
- Tammy Van Vleet announced Aloha Productions is merging with Varsity Spirit. This includes Aloha Spirit, Golden State Spirit Association and Mid Atlantic Cheer & Dance.
- The Indianapolis Star reported Principal Stunned Over Student’s Racial Slur Toward Colts Cheerleader and the Daily Mail added Outrage at High School Student Who Posed for a Picture with Black Colts Cheerleader then Shared it Online with a Vile Racial Slur.
- Sporting News published Chargers Security Guard Caught Masturbating Near Cheerleaders.
- TWC News posted College Cheerleader, Webster Native Suspended for Election Night Tweets Speaks Out.
- Dallas Morning News reported Mumps Outbreak May be Linked to Cheerleading Contests in Arlington, Frisco, Dallas.