January kicked off a new year with a new President. Here’s the cheerleading news we found interesting.
December, along with 2016, has left us. Here’s the news that ended the year, including the news of the year.
- Everyone reported on Cheerleading being granted provisional Olympic status, including Reuters, Inside the Games, The Courier-Mail, BBC, USA Today, USA Cheer, and USASF.
- The USASF released the draft version of 2017 Worlds Club Divisions Score System.
- NBC reported Cheerleader Bus Crash in West Texas Kills One; Injures Seven. and USA Today followed up with After Tragic Bus Accident, Cheerleaders From Around Texas Gather to Lend Support.
- New York Times published Great Moments in Cheerleading: Could the Olympics Be Next?.
- The Lexington Herald-Leader reported Meet the Henry Clay Football Player Who Made the School’s Cheerleading Team and Competitive Cheerleading Championships Draw Passionate Followers.
- The CT Post posted Reports: Cheerleader’s Mom Dies On the Way to Cheerleading Tournament.
- Fox reported Cheerleading Team of Girl Who Drowned Wins National Competition in Florida.
- The Duke Chronicle published Duke Track and Field Sprinter Sydnei Murphy Doubles as Cheerleader in Offseason.
- Reuters also published Cheerleading Boasts Increasing International Appeal.
- Tammy Van Vleet announced Aloha Productions is merging with Varsity Spirit. This includes Aloha Spirit, Golden State Spirit Association and Mid Atlantic Cheer & Dance.
- The Indianapolis Star reported Principal Stunned Over Student’s Racial Slur Toward Colts Cheerleader and the Daily Mail added Outrage at High School Student Who Posed for a Picture with Black Colts Cheerleader then Shared it Online with a Vile Racial Slur.
- Sporting News published Chargers Security Guard Caught Masturbating Near Cheerleaders.
- TWC News posted College Cheerleader, Webster Native Suspended for Election Night Tweets Speaks Out.
- Dallas Morning News reported Mumps Outbreak May be Linked to Cheerleading Contests in Arlington, Frisco, Dallas.