USASF Scholarships are available to college bound seniors and to young athletes to help offset expenses associated with participating with USASF member programs. Share the opportunities with your athletes!
There are 2 types of scholarships, College Scholarships (open to college bound seniors) and Young Athlete Scholarships (open to athlete members). The first deadline for the College Scholarship is tomorrow, February 1, 2017.
The USASF released the Cheer Rules and Age Grid for the 2017-2018 season, along the updated Program Definition. The rules, age grid, and program definition will be effective August 1, 2017.
UCA and UDA College Nationals were held January 13-15 at Walt Disney World. Full coverage can be found on Varsity TV.
- Division IA Coed – University of Kentucky
- Division IA All Girl – Indiana University
- Division I Coed – Morehead State University
- Division I All Girl – University of West Georgia
- Division I Small Coed – University of Memphis
- Division II Coed – University of West Georgia
- Division II Small Coed – Wilmington University
- Open Coed – Shelton State Community College
- Open All Girl – Nassau Community College
- Division IA Hip Hop – University of Cincinnati
- Division IA Jazz – University of Minnesota
- Division IA Pom – University of Minnesota
- Division I Hip Hop – Northern Arizona University
- Division I Jazz – Cal State Fullerton
- Division I Pom – Hofstra University
- Open Hip Hop – University of Saint Thomas
- Open Jazz – Lindenwood University
- Open Pom – Orange Coast College
Partner Stunt & Mascot Champions
- Partner Stunt “Girls 4” – Sam Houston State University (Drew, Danielle, Brenna & Chelsea)
- Partner Stunt Coed – Morehead State University (Jessie & Nick)
- Mascot Division IA – University of Minnesota “Goldy Golpher”
- Mascot Open – University of Delaware “YoUDee”
December, along with 2016, has left us. Here’s the news that ended the year, including the news of the year.
- Everyone reported on Cheerleading being granted provisional Olympic status, including Reuters, Inside the Games, The Courier-Mail, BBC, USA Today, USA Cheer, and USASF.
- The USASF released the draft version of 2017 Worlds Club Divisions Score System.
- NBC reported Cheerleader Bus Crash in West Texas Kills One; Injures Seven. and USA Today followed up with After Tragic Bus Accident, Cheerleaders From Around Texas Gather to Lend Support.
- New York Times published Great Moments in Cheerleading: Could the Olympics Be Next?.
- The Lexington Herald-Leader reported Meet the Henry Clay Football Player Who Made the School’s Cheerleading Team and Competitive Cheerleading Championships Draw Passionate Followers.
- The CT Post posted Reports: Cheerleader’s Mom Dies On the Way to Cheerleading Tournament.
- Fox reported Cheerleading Team of Girl Who Drowned Wins National Competition in Florida.
- The Duke Chronicle published Duke Track and Field Sprinter Sydnei Murphy Doubles as Cheerleader in Offseason.
- Reuters also published Cheerleading Boasts Increasing International Appeal.
- Tammy Van Vleet announced Aloha Productions is merging with Varsity Spirit. This includes Aloha Spirit, Golden State Spirit Association and Mid Atlantic Cheer & Dance.
- The Indianapolis Star reported Principal Stunned Over Student’s Racial Slur Toward Colts Cheerleader and the Daily Mail added Outrage at High School Student Who Posed for a Picture with Black Colts Cheerleader then Shared it Online with a Vile Racial Slur.
- Sporting News published Chargers Security Guard Caught Masturbating Near Cheerleaders.
- TWC News posted College Cheerleader, Webster Native Suspended for Election Night Tweets Speaks Out.
- Dallas Morning News reported Mumps Outbreak May be Linked to Cheerleading Contests in Arlington, Frisco, Dallas.