Varsity Celebrates 4th Annual National School Spirit Day on September 6, 2012
Memphis, TN - August 28, 2012 – Cheerleaders and dancers across the nation are gearing up for the 4th annual National School Spirit Day on September 7, 2012. Cheerleaders and dance teams across the nation have pledged to conduct at least four hours of community service in the week leading up to National School Spirit Day on September 7th.
National School Spirit Day celebrates the leadership among cheerleaders and dancers and shines a spotlight on the positive attribute of teams across the country. Members of spirit squads (cheer and dance teams) develop a range of character traits from the work they do giving back to their schools and communities. Between activities such as pep rallies and alumni events, community service and general student leading, cheer and dance teams are always rising above and beyond the demands of their teams.
“While cheerleaders are recognized for spirit-raising activities all year long, they do so much more to benefit their communities and schools,” said Nicole Lauchaire, Vice President, Corporate Marketing & Communications at Varsity Brands. “That’s why Varsity created National School Spirit Day four years ago. It is a great way to honor the accomplishments of cheerleaders and dancers who are making a difference in communities across the country.”
This year, there will be two prizes – one for a team or individual, and one for an entire school.
Team/Individual Prize Pack
Teams performing at least 4 hours of community service each in the week leading up to National School Spirit Day your team could win these great prizes:
- 250 Rooter poms, 150 sets of Thunderstix, 100 sets of Spirit Fingerz, and Custom “U-Build-It” tee for each team member from Varsity Spirit Fashion
- Practice cheer mat (single roll) from Ross Athletic Supply
School Prize Pack
If a team was able to get their entire school involved in the week leading up to National School Spirit Day, they are eligible to win these great prizes:
- $1000 School Spirit Scholarship for the school principal to award to a student demonstrating outstanding school spirit from Herff Jones
- Digital Camera for the Yearbook Staff from Herff Jones
- $1000 in school supplies donated to your school from Carolina Pad
Cheerleaders can visit the National School Spirit Day website (www.nationalschoolspiritday.org) to pledge their community service and learn more. Some of the standout service activities from last year included:
- Costa Mesa Cheerleading Squad hosted a heroes rally to remember, mourn and never forget. They are raising funds to donate to a 9/11 charity as well as having a collection center to send overseas to troops.
- Lady’s Island Middle School cheerleaders collected school supplies for the Franciscan Center of St. Helena Island, SC during the week of September 5-9th. The Franciscan Center is an outreach center staffed by approximately 60 volunteers that offers academic assistance, computer training, and adult English language classes to the community.
- Shelby County West Middle School celebrated National School Spirit Day by having a sleep-over and making hundreds of cards to send overseas to our troops. They wrote customized messages in each card to give our soldiers a little love from home.
- The St. Paul’s High School “Bulldogs” cleaned their community park and the feeder school buses, and baked warm cookies to deliver at the local nursing home. In previous years, they washed cars and cleaned the school buses inside outside for the upcoming Football season.
Varsity is the source for all things related to cheerleading and dance team. With a rich heritage and traditions dating back to 1974, Varsity is an innovative global leader comprised of the leading spirit brands and organizations including its educational camps, clinics, competitions and uniforms to teams around the world. Varsity’s National Championships, many of which are held at the Walt Disney World® Resorts, have been televised on ESPN Networks for more than 25 years. Sponsors for Varsity events include Gatorade, Degree Girl, Playtex Sport and PBTeen. Web-based Varsity TV features thousands of cheerleading and dance team videos and has become a favorite cheer destination for cheerleaders and coaches alike. Varsity has led the way in cheerleading safety as a supporter of the American Association of Cheerleading Coaches and Administrators since 1987 and as a camp leader training more than 350,000 cheerleaders per year in cheerleading fundamentals with an emphasis on safety. In 2012, Varsity purchased American Cheerleader Magazine, which has showcased the cheerleading community since 1995. Based in Memphis, Tennessee, Varsity employs 5,000 employees nationwide. For more information about Varsity, please visit http://www.varsity.com.