The USASF released the Cheer Rules and Age Grid for the 2017-2018 season, along the updated Program Definition. The rules, age grid, and program definition will be effective August 1, 2017.
UCA and UDA College Nationals were held January 13-15 at Walt Disney World. Full coverage can be found on Varsity TV.
- Division IA Coed – University of Kentucky
- Division IA All Girl – Indiana University
- Division I Coed – Morehead State University
- Division I All Girl – University of West Georgia
- Division I Small Coed – University of Memphis
- Division II Coed – University of West Georgia
- Division II Small Coed – Wilmington University
- Open Coed – Shelton State Community College
- Open All Girl – Nassau Community College
- Division IA Hip Hop – University of Cincinnati
- Division IA Jazz – University of Minnesota
- Division IA Pom – University of Minnesota
- Division I Hip Hop – Northern Arizona University
- Division I Jazz – Cal State Fullerton
- Division I Pom – Hofstra University
- Open Hip Hop – University of Saint Thomas
- Open Jazz – Lindenwood University
- Open Pom – Orange Coast College
Partner Stunt & Mascot Champions
- Partner Stunt “Girls 4” – Sam Houston State University (Drew, Danielle, Brenna & Chelsea)
- Partner Stunt Coed – Morehead State University (Jessie & Nick)
- Mascot Division IA – University of Minnesota “Goldy Golpher”
- Mascot Open – University of Delaware “YoUDee”
December, along with 2016, has left us. Here’s the news that ended the year, including the news of the year.
- Everyone reported on Cheerleading being granted provisional Olympic status, including Reuters, Inside the Games, The Courier-Mail, BBC, USA Today, USA Cheer, and USASF.
- The Courier-Mail also published IOC Can’t Be Serious: Cheerleading and Muay Thai in Line to Become Olympic Sports.
- The BBC published Cheerleading is a Sport, Get Over it.
- Newshub published Competitive Cheerleading: We Got it Wrong.
- News Limited published Australian Cheerleading Community Hits Back at Critics Who Say Cheerleading is ‘Not a Sport’.
- People published Now Cheer This! Cheerleading Becomes (Provisional) Olympic Sport and 6 Impressive Cheerleading Routines to Celebrate Its Declaration as a Sport.
- Forbes reported Is Cheerleading A Sport? The IOC Ends The Debate.
- The USASF released the draft version of 2017 Worlds Club Divisions Score System.
- NBC reported Cheerleader Bus Crash in West Texas Kills One; Injures Seven. and USA Today followed up with After Tragic Bus Accident, Cheerleaders From Around Texas Gather to Lend Support.
- The New York Times followed up with Bereaved Texas Town Finds Comfort in a State High School Title Game and the Fort Worth Star-Telegram published Iraan Can’t Claim Title, but Players, Cheerleaders Show True Grit.
- New York Times published Great Moments in Cheerleading: Could the Olympics Be Next?.
- The Lexington Herald-Leader reported Meet the Henry Clay Football Player Who Made the School’s Cheerleading Team and Competitive Cheerleading Championships Draw Passionate Followers.
- The CT Post posted Reports: Cheerleader’s Mom Dies On the Way to Cheerleading Tournament.
- Fox reported Cheerleading Team of Girl Who Drowned Wins National Competition in Florida.
- The Duke Chronicle published Duke Track and Field Sprinter Sydnei Murphy Doubles as Cheerleader in Offseason.
- Reuters also published Cheerleading Boasts Increasing International Appeal.
- Tammy Van Vleet announced Aloha Productions is merging with Varsity Spirit. This includes Aloha Spirit, Golden State Spirit Association and Mid Atlantic Cheer & Dance.
- The Indianapolis Star reported Principal Stunned Over Student’s Racial Slur Toward Colts Cheerleader and the Daily Mail added Outrage at High School Student Who Posed for a Picture with Black Colts Cheerleader then Shared it Online with a Vile Racial Slur.
- Sporting News published Chargers Security Guard Caught Masturbating Near Cheerleaders.
- TWC News posted College Cheerleader, Webster Native Suspended for Election Night Tweets Speaks Out.
- Dallas Morning News reported Mumps Outbreak May be Linked to Cheerleading Contests in Arlington, Frisco, Dallas.