The USASF is thrilled to announce a brand new resource for members! You now have access to an exclusive Video Library that illustrates nearly every Rule and Glossary term for the USASF Cheer & Dance Rules & Safety Guidelines. Do you ever ask yourself “what exactly does that rule mean?” Just click the links and we’ll show you! Log in to your USASF member profile, go to the drop down menu in the top right corner, select “Visit USASF Rules Video Library” and start clicking!
Happy Thanksgiving. Welcome to December and the first Cheer Worlds bid events.
- Norwich Bulletin reported As Cheerleading Evolves, Injuries Continue to Rise.
- USA Today’s For the Win published Oklahoma WR Apologizes After Injuring Oklahoma State Cheerleader in Scary Sideline Collision.
- The Ledger-Enquirer posted Cheerleading Championships Among Big Events this Weekend with Huge Economic Impact.
- Fox News reported University: Cheerleaders Who Knelt for Anthem to be on Field.
- ABS-CBN posted Team PHI bags 8 medals in Cheerleading World Championships.
- Williamson Daily News published Kyle Lovern: A New Respect for the Sport of Cheerleading.
- Port Macquarie News reported Cheerleading: The Fastest Growing Sport in the World.
- CBS News posted Fired Cheerleading Coach Defends Methods After Splits Video Controversy.
- KMBC published Basehor Cheerleading Team Wants to Honor All Veterans Buried at Leavenworth.
- CBS DFW reported Community Mourns Loss Of High School Cheerleader Killed In Crash.
- Kentucky Kernel posted UK’s Cheer Team Chosen to Represent Team USA.
- Houston Chronicle published Simone Biles to Join Houston Texans as Honorary Cheerleader.
Coaches interested in a L6 Credentialing Session this season need to schedule your session now with Andre Carter! The goal is for the session to take place by mid-January. After that, the next session will take place next season.
Membership boxes are being packed and ready to ship. We need to make sure we have your BEST delivery address in your program profile.
Log into your profile and make sure your delivery address is one that UPS can deliver to between 9 am and 5 pm.
For instructions on HOW to update delivery address, click here.
While you’re there…enter your athletes and update your coach profile so you’re ready for the season!
Don’t Delay — Log In today!
Dear USASF Members:
The USASF Board of Directors held their annual in-person meeting on November 6-7, 2017. One of the key discussions at the meeting was a thorough review of USASF policies and resources targeted at athlete protection.
The USASF mission includes “strive for a safe environment for our athletes.” To the USASF, safety extends beyond our Cheer and Dance safety rules for performance. We’re committed to equipping our members with the tools to create the safest overall environment for every All Star athlete, so we’ve established membership requirements and made resources available that are aimed directly at athlete protection.
As we enter the 2017-18 competition season, the Board strongly urges that all USASF members review membership requirements regarding athlete protection and make it a priority to implement the resources provided. The Board will continue to review our efforts to ensure that the most timely policies and resources are in place.
Professional Responsibility Code
The “PRC” contains the terms and conditions that all members agree to upon joining the USASF. From sportsmanship to a code of ethics to athlete protection, membership expectations are clearly defined here.
Athlete Sexual Abuse Prevention
The USASF requires that all member Programs have clear, written guidelines that prohibit adults who have contact with minors from engaging in conduct that is either inappropriate and/or illegal. We’ve partnered with the Positive Coaching Alliance to provide an applicable policy and protocol.
Electronic Communications Policy
The USASF recognizes the need to address the prevalence of inappropriate messaging between adults affiliated with a USASF Member program and athletes via email, texting, and social media. It is required that all member Programs adopt a clear and concise policy regarding Electronic Communication.
USASF member programs are required to have an action plan to address bullying.
Implemented in 2015, the USASF requires background screening for anyone age 18 or older who accompanies a team into a warm up room at all USASF Sanctioned Events.
In close partnership with event producer, program owner and coach members, the USASF takes seriously our collective responsibility of the protection of the athletes in our care. The membership requirements and associated additional resources for implementation show our commitment to safeguarding All Star participants.
USASF Regional Directors conduct regular webinars to educate members on the protocols, policies and resources available to them. It’s true teamwork and takes diligent effort by all of us to ensure that All Star is, and remains, a safe and wholesome sport.
Thank you for standing together in support of our athletes!
Dear USASF Northeast Program Owners & Coaches:
I am writing to inform you of some staff changes that will affect the Northeast Region.
We are pleased to announce that Tim Morgan will transition from Northeast Regional Director to an operational role focusing on logistics and field staff development. Prior to stepping into the role of Regional Director in 2014, Tim served as a lead member of our credentialing team for eight years. Although his day-to-day interactions with our members will change, he will continue to play an important role in the operations of the USASF.
We have named Robin Galik as the new Northeast Regional Director. Robin has been with the USASF for two years as a member of our field staff as a lead credentialing instructor and Member Support Specialist, proving herself to be a valuable resource for owners and coaches. Her background as an All Star program owner and her working knowledge of the USASF will foster a smooth transition to her new role as Regional Director.
Please join me join me in congratulating and thanking Tim for his dedication and service to the programs, owners and coaches in the Northeast, and in welcoming Robin to her new role.
Vice President, Membership, U.S. All Star Federation
Dear USASF Dance Programs and Coaches:
Because of the nuances and similarities between the genres, the USASF is, once again, assisting its members in determining the appropriate category to enter that most closely matches the descriptions provided in the USASF Divisions & Categories document located in your USASF Member Profile.
If you have any question as to which category you should register your routine in at any USASF Sanctioned Event, and especially if you’re competing for a bid to The Dance World Championship, submit a Jazz and Contemporary/Lyrical Designation Form and at least one week prior to any sanctioned event. Our evaluation staff will review and advise.
Best of luck to you this season!
October has come and gone, bringing showcase season and Halloween with it. Here’s the rest of the news:
- Several cheerleaders have joined the kneeling during the national anthem or similar protests, including cheerleaders in Texas, Michigan, Illinois, New Hampshire, and Georgia.
- The Kennesaw State cheerleaders seemed to receive the most press for their involvement in the kneeling protest.
- Atlanta Journal-Constitution posted Kennesaw State Cheerleader Speaks on Taking a Knee During National Anthem, KSU Change Won’t Stop Their Kneeling Protest, Cheerleaders Say, KSU Cheerleaders ‘Disheartened’ by Sheriff-Lawmaker Texts, and Cheerleaders Continue to Take a Knee at Kennesaw State Football Games.
- The Sentinel reported Cheerleaders Absent From Field After Kneeling During Anthem.
- Fox Sports published ‘Purposely Hidden’: Cheerleaders to Protest Anthem in Tunnel.
- WLNS published Waverly Varsity Cheerleaders Raise Donation for Hurricane Relief.
- NBC reported Court Sides With Texas Cheerleaders in Bible Banner Lawsuit.
- Cronkite News published The Flipside of Cheerleading: A Prevalence of Catastrophic Injuries.
- New York Times posted Howard Cheerleaders Add Voices to the Anthem Debate by Taking a Knee.
- Cheer Canada posted New Board of Directors Elected.
- ESPN posted DA: Insufficient Evidence to Warrant Charges After Investigation into Cheerleading Videos.
- Orlando Sentinel published Commentary: UCF’s Scoring Machine is a Pain for Cheerleaders.
- Salt Lake City Tribune posted Update: Weber High Students Who Recorded Racist Video Resign from Cheerleading Squad.
The USASF has sent a steady stream of emails over the past couple of weeks. These emails have covered topics including the Webinar Wednesday series, Special Needs, the Growth Task Force, being Competition Ready, Provisional International Cheer Divisions, and the Dance Worlds Score Sheet. We’ll share as much information from these emails as we feel is appropriate, but suggest you ensure you are receiving the emails directly.
If you are not receiving USASF emails, please be sure your USASF member profile is up to date with an active email address.